Sunday, May 9, 2010

DAY EIGHT - MAY 08 - 1987 - BROADCAST NEWS

"Broadcast News" is a hard movie to peg down - it's a comedy, drama, and romance, all set against the backdrop of a moderately successful news station. Albert Brooks, Holly Hunter, William Hurt, and even Jack Nicholson are all excellent developing their very different characters. Again, for this movie project, I chose a movie that was very long - 132 minutes. That being said, the time flew by as the characters were compelling, the story was moving, and the writing was incredible.

One line that hit me, and this is a paraphrase, was "What if you have lived the best part of your life, and now you have to start the worst part?" The movie is full of lines that are smart - and tough. The movie kind of had the same feel as the recent "Up in the Air" - a film I loved. It's not an overall "happy movie" like I was thinking it was before I watched it. I also didn't realize the movie was written and directed by James L. Brooks - the guy behind "As Good As It Gets" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." I actually cannot believe I haven't seen this sooner - but I have now, and I would give it a score of 8 out of 10. This won't be a film for everyone, but for me, it was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment