Tuesday, May 11, 2010

DAY ELEVEN - MAY 11 - 1990 - DANCES WITH WOLVES

This morning, I was dreading coming home from a long work day and trying to force myself to watch a three hour and one minute movie about Native Americans and Kevin Costner. I was regretting my pick of the film, wishing I had chosen something far lighter and far shorter. But, being totally committed to this project, I put in the DVD. Well, three hours and one minute later, I sit here writing my review - which is in short: "Dances with Wolves" is the best movie I've watched yet in this project.

The film is set back during the Civil War. Kevin Costner, who starred and directed, portrays Lt. Dunbar/Dances with Wolves, a man who starts the film trying to kill himself, but through a small miracle, ends up getting a second chance at life when he accidentally leads his fellow Union troops to a victory on the battlefield. Getting to choose his assignment, he opts to take a position as far away as he can. Alone on this new post, he meets a wolf, Native Americans, and a strange white woman.

This movie is an odyssey of sorts - with lots of strange and wonderful characters thrown into the path of our hero. In the end though, this is a film about dedication, morality, and sacrifice. While I by no means hate Americans, it does raise some questions about our shaky heritage and treatment of those that were here before us. This is a journey/epic that everyone should take. I completely understand why it won seven Oscars including best picture. I would rate this movie a 9 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment