Wednesday, May 12, 2010

DAY TWELVE - MAY 12 - 1991 - THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

Wow. That's really the most fitting word to describe the last two hours of my movie-watching life. "The Silence of the Lambs", winner of "the big 5" Academy Awards (best picture, actor, actress, director, and screenplay), is a film I knew far less about than I thought. Going into it, I thought it was about a guy who ate people. It is so much more, and it's truly genius.

I've heard some people say they refuse to see this movie as they think it is unhealthy to put this type of thing into their mind. Frankly, I don't blame them. This movie, while very tastefully done (oh gosh, no pun intended), is more psychologically terrifying than graphic. The story seems quite simple - a young FBI trainee Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) is brought in to help extract information from a sadistic psychopath by the name of Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins) who may or may not have information on another pivotal case. Through tense meetings and odd clues, Starling faces personal demons as well as real life evils.

Movies are often called "edge-of-your-seat" - and this film epitomizes that phrase. Based on the book by the late Thomas Harris, I would highly recommend this movie to those looking for a good thriller. The film did suffer from the one problem I have with many movies involving law enforcement - when one "hero" goes it alone to face off against an evil without calling in backup. With that sole flaw, this near-perfect thrill ride gets a 9.5 out of 10. Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment