Thursday, May 6, 2010

DAY SIX - MAY 06 - 1985 - OUT OF AFRICA

In this process of M.M.O.M., I have encountered one problem more than anything - pacing. The pacing in a couple of the films to this point has been so slow it literally put me to sleep. "Out of Africa" is a slowly paced film - and I really enjoyed it. I guess it's not about the pacing as much as it's about the story and the right pace in which to tell it.

"Out of Africa" tells the story of a real life woman, Karen Blixen, portrayed by the always excellent Meryl Streep. In a way the movie is a soap opera set against the most breathtaking views of Africa. I've always wanted to go on a safari, and this movie intensified that desire. The film is also a lesson in loneliness, and the moral that says money isn't everything. A recent movie, "Australia" with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman, obviously either paid homage or stole many elements of "OOA" - but their end product was nowhere near as good.

The movie however does have a couple of "it doesn't spoil the movie but I have to mention it" moments. Robert Redford's Denys character was good - but slightly underused. This film won a lot of Oscars, including best picture, but he wasn't even nominated, and I can understand that. He's a great actor, don't get me wrong, but he was definitely a distant second to Streep. Also, in a couple of scenes Streep's character seems to be a bit erratic in nature to the point she doesn't seem completely believable. One moment she's Annie Oakley of Africa, the next moment she's a refined socialite. Maybe that's supposed to be charming - but for me it contributed to the weaker moments of the film. Those minor complaints aside, this is easily the best looking film so far, and I would give it 7.5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment