Tuesday, May 4, 2010

DAY FOUR - MAY 04 - 1983 - SCARFACE

After the first three days of this movie project, my only accomplishment was watching three movies I thought I would like. I could not however say I really enjoyed any of them. Today, thankfully, that changes. "Scarface" was one of the best gangster-style movies I've ever seen. Al Pacino was incredible - it really was his movie despite the strong supporting cast.

This hard R film tells the story of Tony Montana (Pacino) - from bum to drug kingpin. I must say, when I saw the film was two hours and fifty minutes, I was worried it would drag. The pacing wasn't perfect, but when it moved, it moved - and the time did fly by once the film hit it's stride. The funny thing I observed with the movie was that there was nobody to root for - nobody was worthy enough to care about. Usually I hate movies with that problem, but for some reason, "Scarface" was so interesting, I just enjoyed being a fly on the wall watching this man's life spiral out of control.

Funny observation: I didn't take off much in my criticism of the film as I realize that it was made in 1983, but the music was SO eighties that it annoyed the heck out of me. And it wasn't just the songs themselves, but the style during certain situations. It would be like playing "Tik Tok" by Ke$ha during the creepy tree healing scene in "Avatar."

That being said, the last half hour is incredible - the rest is very good. So I can happily rate "Scarface" a project high 8.5 out of 10.

1 comment: