Friday, May 7, 2010

DAY SEVEN - MAY 07 - 1986 - PLATOON


Director Oliver Stone is known as many things in the Hollywood circles, and preachy is certainly one of them. "Platoon" is a powerful look at a group of men called to protect and serve in Vietnam, with the end message being "war is bad." Based on Oliver Stone's personal experience serving his country, the film for modern audiences is both a piece of pop culture, but more-so a commentary on war itself.

There is no real plot. The film is narrated by one soldier (played by Charlie Sheen) through letters home as he makes his way with the titled platoon through Vietnam. I was struck with how the film just begins - there is no need for a back story or a lead up - Stone just wants to put you front and center for all of the horror. There is one sequence in particular where the platoon comes upon a village and some soldiers begin murdering innocent farmers out of some sick, sheer need to kill. It's sickening, it's preachy, it's effective.

The casting was excellent - it was made up of many men who now are on some of the most popular TV shows out there. I don't know all of their names off the top of my head, but it was funny to see these actors before their careers took off in many different directions.

I cannot bring myself to say I "love" any war movie. These films aren't made to be loved, they are made to be experienced. That being said, I am very thankful I chose this film for today, and I would give it a score of 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment