Monday, May 3, 2010

DAY THREE - MAY 03 - 1982 - BLADE RUNNER




Many years from now, there will be a lonely, single guy, sitting in his apartment thinking "Hey, what if I try and watch 31 movies in 31 days?!" He'll search the best movies of the past thirty-one years and for the year 2009 he'll stumble upon "Avatar." When he watches it, he'll say to himself "What was all the fuss about?" That is how I felt about my selection for today - "Blade Runner." I'm sure for it's time, it broke ground. The sets were often impressive, even for today's standards. That being said, while it was nice to look at, for a movie with the word "runner" in it's title, it sure seemed to crawl.

A young Harrison Ford works as a Blade Runner - one tasked to hunt and "kill" robot humans that have made their way to earth from an experiment gone wrong on another planet (I think!.) Seriously, to be completely honest, I fell asleep and had to rewind this movie three times. I cannot believe how little happened in such a long two hours. I feel like I could have edited this down to twenty or thirty very good minutes.

A major con for me: As slow as the movie went, it didn't seem to develop the enemies well at all. They weren't scary and they weren't even that interesting - they were just there filling a role. The movie seemed to begin well, leading me to believe good things were ahead, but alas, it was too much to ask. It is funny this movie is from the same guy who now produces "The Good Wife" on CBS (which is actually really good - maybe trading political scandal for spaceships was a good move!).

So it's with dismay that I rate today's movie, out of a possible 10, a whopping 4.5.

1 comment: