Saturday, May 1, 2010

DAY ONE - MAY 01 - 1980 - THE ELEPHANT MAN

Wow! What a choice for my first pick. Basically, M.M.O.M. for me began with a scene where a elephant raped a woman - thus spawning the title character in the film from 1980, "The Elephant Man." David Lynch, who is a master, told the based-on-a-true-story (yes, I will be doing some research) of a man so disfigured he is considered a "freak" by many. Rescued from the grasp of an evil showman, this disfigured man transforms from laughable show feature to an admired social figure. (REVIEW CONTINUES BELOW PICTURE)

Okay, my thoughts in a nut shell - way too long! The movie moved at a pace that had me break once in between as I had to get away. Now that doesn't mean I didn't respect the technical elements of the film, and the ending was very well done. One of the biggest pluses for me with the film was that it was in black and white - it made the movie feel much older than 31 years. To be completely honest, had the film been in color, the PG rating (which didn't mean as much back then as it does today, refer back to the elephant rape for example) would have surely been an R. The acting was excellent as well - it really was just the pacing I had a problem with. So, as I will do for the entire month, I am rating these movies on a scale from 1-10, with 10 being the best. "The Elephant Man" gets a 6.5 from me. And now I can check it off my movie bucket list!

No comments:

Post a Comment